Submit all information directly to the online application system, using a laptop or desktop computer (the system does not currently work on mobile).
Applications sent via post or email will not be considered.
“Should I fill out all of the information or leave some blank?”
- There is a reason that we are asking for this amount of detail. Therefore, we would encourage you to complete your application as thoroughly as possible to assist the jury in arriving at their most educated decision.
“I have a lot of different threads to my practice. Should I show a little bit of everything or keep it focused?”
- Certainly, if one element of your practice incorporates sculpture and painting then please show us both; however, if you dabble with different ideas in a bunch of different media we strongly recommend that you pick one focused presentation to clearly exemplify one idea and one strong presentation.
“Can I submit multiple applications?”
“I have applied in past years and was not selected. Is it worth me applying again this time?”
- Sure! Of course, it is. We have a new jury every year and every year the jury looks for different things. Please don’t take it personally if your work hasn’t been chosen in the past; perhaps come with a fresh approach and your newest work may very well get accepted this time. It can never hurt to have your artwork viewed by a new group of artistic professionals.
“What kind of work are you looking for?”
- While BEERS is primarily a painting gallery one of the objectives of the Summer Marathon is to get new media, new approaches, and new ideas into the gallery. So, whether you are a painter or not, please apply!
“What are we looking for?”
- Typically, the SUMMER MARATHON looks for artists whose work explores current themes, trends, and innovations in contemporary art across any/all artistic discipline(s). Artists anywhere in the world are invited to submit an application for consideration, and applicants will be vetted by a jury of artistic professionals (see *JURY*), and selected artists will exhibit in a two-week solo exhibition at Beers London gallery in the heart of East London’s vibrant art community.
“What about past artists?
- Past applicants and exhibitors have gone on to solo-exhibitions with BEERS or other galleries; inclusions in art-fairs; inclusion in gallery Director Kurt Beers’ various publications (100 Painters of Tomorrow / 100 Sculptors of Tomorrow or the forthcoming 100 Photographers of Tomorrow, an open call for which will launch in 2021); placement in prestigious public or private collections; representation by Beers London or other galleries; and countless opportunities as presented by the jury. In previous years, Florence Hutchings and Jan Sebastian Koch had sell-out exhibitions, and the latter, along with Marion Fink, became gallery artists. Laith MacGregor applied for a week in the Summer Marathon in 2019 and the decision was made to – instead – offer him a full 5-week solo show with the gallery.
“What is the process?”
- All applicants will be reviewed, and a portion (usually around 350-500) will be long-listed. Afterwards, these artists will be vetted to a short-list (around 75-100); and finally, the top 25 artists will be asked to submit a more detailed proposal/pitch of their solo show. Finally, approximately 5 artists will be selected to exhibit.